"Home is the place where, when you have to go there, they have to let you in."

-- Robert Frost

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

4 Years

My goodness.  It's such a small amount of time in the lifetime of things.  At least that's what I  keep telling my middle and high school age children.  

And yet ... it is so influential in the development of who we are and will become.  I listen to them talk and I find myself wishing their experiences could mirror mine. There's so much gunk out there nowadays ... worries and problems and trash to fret about, leaving me quite certain that I grew up living in a bubble.

I wasn't, as my kids call it, "a popular", by any stretch of the imagination but something about a tight-knit town and it's small educational groupings had a way of blurring the lines between possible faction separations.  Yes, there were friendships fashioned since elementary years, but all were friendly across the board and I, in the end, found myself associated with nearly everyone.

It didn't start out that way.  Moving into such a community in the beginnings of the fifth grade left me to stick out more than my once timid personality would have liked, necessitating good friends whose wing I would huddled beneath for comfort.

But, years later with miles more experience, I think as adults, we all realize that not one of us was without our own, personal insecurities.  Life has a way of knocking off so many of the rough edges, leveling the playing field, causing each and every one to look up with a common sense of understanding for getting through life's trials.  We've lost children, and spouses, and jobs. We've gained promotions, given birth, and fulfilled dreams.  Our insecurities were and are the same and any possible dividing lines have long since been erased.

4 years, a long time.  20 years ... a longer time ... but friendship still remains.  Forged in the necessary refining fire of high school's influential insecurity.  And so it feels that gathering if even for a moment, is like coming home to family.  A family of shared experience.

















Those not pictured, I'm sorry. I so enjoyed visiting with you rather than documenting you.  Fun to see you all!

4 comments:

  1. beautifully said!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So eloquent Marlowe - love all the photos!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Which reunion was this for you? I went to my 20th reunion (7 years ago, if you're counting) and really didn't feel a lot of sense of family like you describe. it was fun to see my high school (since my family moved 5 months before I graduated and I left town the next morning) and there were a handful of people I wanted to see, but that was it. When emails started coming out that it was time for a 25th I had no desire to go. I wonder if class size makes any difference--there were probably 400 in my graduating class...I know Andra has felt differently and has attended several reunions.

    ReplyDelete