"Home is the place where, when you have to go there, they have to let you in."

-- Robert Frost

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Reunite

Packing six kids and one for a scout camp out.
Notes to bus drivers.
Rare but precious lunch money stowed.
A primary talk written.
House straightened.
A birthday gift purchased and wrapped for a party.
Plans for animal chores made.
A dress sewn and hemming completed.
Homework done in advance of Monday.
A project ready and a test studied for.
A meal made to ease the burden of dumping six more on a friend's already loaded schedule.
Church assignments completed and some left to delegation.
Personal packing and a lot of loose ends left behind.


All wrapped up neatly with a traditional dose of running for an airplane.



I've lived a lifetime since Friday morning.  Or relived one rather. 


When my parents made the decision to leave my small home town in the heart of Appalachia NC, I felt robbed. Who will hold down the home front?  What will bring me back?  A child's mind sees a nesting place of hugely monumental importance.  A parent sees a resting spot that served it's purpose in the growing of a family.  


And parents move on with their lives once the nest empties, sometimes.


And life's next great adventure carries them elsewhere.  


And as a parent myself, I guess I can see that now. 


So, though high school reunions seem silly at times because one's past is over and done with and looking back can seem so trivial ... I'm a nostalgic soul and not one to overlook an opportunity to return to my roots. Though home again and my to-do list has begun all over in the cluttered front hall wake of a mother's return, my heart and head are filled with the memories of a place loved like no other.




A place, a time, and the people influential in the building of a girl.  

5 comments:

  1. Looks just like heaven. Makes me so very homesick. A piece of me is still there. Literally. When I go back I get the bonus of visiting mom's resting site. I was so happy when Jeremy and his wife moved back there. My mind thought "now there is someone to care for her grave".
    Yes, it looks just like heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful sight! HAVE fun! I hope you get to see 'fall'

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was so lovely to meet you Marlowe! Your post makes my heart happy to live here. It truly is a lovely place and a wonderful place to grow up/raise children.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marlowe--beautiful shot of the mountains! And what makes parents think they can move on, anyway???

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is great as I have struggled about moving with my job along the way, thinking about my children and their desires...another lovely story. We are blessed to live in such a beautiful place...but, I have been to Denver and I could definitely live there! It is so very beautiful!

    ReplyDelete