"Home is the place where, when you have to go there, they have to let you in."

-- Robert Frost

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

To be a kid again

I can count on one thumb how many times I visited an amusement park as a kid.

But, I'm a sucker for a good deal and this bargain has become a family tradition since Christian started reading chapter books .. and no, that wasn't just last year.  Our local public libraries offer free tickets to Six Flags for their summer reading program reward.

I guess they don't bank on families as big as ours.

Boy, did those tickets burn a hole in our pockets.

Most years, we chomp at the bit to cash those in before school starts.  This year we bided our time and waited for the weather to cool and lines to lessen as fewer folks go after school gets in.

Only it must have been a common notion as it was still crowded with the mass sea of humanity.

But ...

It was a perfectly beautiful Saturday.  


Nothing makes a tradition run smoother than a consistantly dependable plan.  All agreed, the pirate ship is our traditional opening ride.  If it were up to me, I'd just ride it the entire time.


But then ... ya gotta get wet because it will take you the entire rest of the day to dry.



And, rule breaking is a must ... like keeping your hands outside of the vehicle at all times when you are surrounded by signs that say the contrary.










This year we brought a family friend to help keeps us entertained.








Grant crossed that, "You Must be THIS Tall to Ride" line and the buzz of excitement was palpable.








And we parked our dad in the shade at the kiddie area to avoid heat rage, line rage, crowd rage.  He was so good to to let me run off with big kids and roller coaster ride myself nearly to death.



I had a good laugh at a sign in the kiddie area saying, "Know Your Limits".  I love the roller coasters and so don't know my limits ... but my limits skidded to a crashing halt after three too many of those spinny rides with Eliza.  My heart screams yes louder than the old aged vertigo scrambled side of my brain can say no. 


See, doesn't he look patient and happy??  Absolutely NOTHING to do with the BYU football game pumping through the earphone in his other ear. 



I don't know why but my favorite time of the day is when the sun sets and those crazy park lights come on.  I just love it.  It makes me feel tingly and excited.






Or maybe it's the youthful adventure, the drop of my stomach on so many rides, or the sheer joy of running amuck with my children.  No matter, tingly excitement sums it up for all of us.


Thanks for the free ride, public library!

3 comments:

  1. What an awesome prize! And really fabulous pictures--nothing like nature providing the perfect backdrop, is there?!?

    I hope Newel survived the debacle that was the BYU game...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marlowe - these photos are fantastic. Enjoyed seeing you! Have you ever considered putting a feedburner link on your blog so people could get email updates on new posts? I realize I've missed several posts since I've not been on FB as much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish our local library gave away prizes like that :) looks like you had lots of fun!

    ReplyDelete