"Home is the place where, when you have to go there, they have to let you in."

-- Robert Frost

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

While the rest of ya'll are still heat wavin'

September first flipped a switch.  Football weather, my boys called it.  Others begged for the heat to be turned on in the early morning hours after a night of open windows ... Um, not yet, I say. Allergies abound and is it any wonder?  Like it or not, my Janie is already sporting that brown puffy coat I think I just barely put away.

There was some kind of crazy war involving sharp stick hucking.  Why do I hear my father's voice in my head, "This kind of laughter always leads to tears."

And ... I told them not to eat the acorns.  They did it anyway brushing me off with, "Squirrels do it all the time."  Until my scout remembered in afterthought, a leader's warnings that green acorns may be followed by stomach cramping, nausea and intense vomiting.  Didn't stop my "squirrels".  They lived to see another day though I secretly wished they'd been taught a lesson.

Fall is upon us and it's a short season here so we'd best enjoy for as long as we can.















5 comments:

  1. I remember gathering acorns up the canyon. I put them in a ziploc bag and placed them in my drawer with all the other "treasures" I'd collected. A week later the sealed bag was full of magots who had found their way out of the middle of the acorns. Pass that thought on to you boys and maybe next time they'll think twice about eating them. Then again, they're boys, and maybe this story will just encourage them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gross Mellyn! But they would so deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there!
    thanks for stopping by my blog the other day. love seeing new faces and meeting new people:)

    we are having a touch of fall weather our way too and loving it. hope it lasts.

    your photos in this post are beautiful. i am just starting out with my camera(even though I've had it almost a year) i love all the tips you have posted about. can't wait to read more

    have a happy day

    ReplyDelete
  4. Talk about some gorgeous light! Way to work it - beautiful stuff Marlowe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I could FEEL these pictures! The light is amazing and dandelions are my favorites!! I love the country looking life!!

    ReplyDelete