"Home is the place where, when you have to go there, they have to let you in."

-- Robert Frost

Monday, November 14, 2011

Christian's 13

I keep this picture of Christian on top of a shelf where I pass by it multiple times a day.  It's the only thing that keeps me from killing him sometimes.


He was born on a Friday the 13th.  Newel was out of town and I waited with a best girlfriend at the hospital trying not to give birth until he could make it.  All that red hair was a surprise.  We took him home and he never, for one second, could stop moving.  Never, ever, have I seen a more herky jerky newborn.

And he hasn't stopped since.

You'da thought those signs would have told me something.


I could strain my brain to write 13 things I love about Christian.


But ....


What I notice recently is that my heart does feel like bursting whenever he's around.  Because, he is becoming.


Becoming adorable.


Becoming witty.


Becoming nice.


Becoming aware.


Becoming fun.


Becoming tall.


Becoming hard working.


Becoming responsible.


Becoming pleasant.


Becoming gentle.


Becoming reasonable.


Becoming closer.


Becoming a young man.



What more could a mother ask for?
Happy birthday, Christian.  I couldn't be happier to have you come home to me each day.

9 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Christian!:)
    I love that you keep your favortie baby picture of him nearby...we all need to remember the really sweet cutie pie days once in awhile!!!:)
    Great pics of the man he is becoming!
    have a happy day marlowe

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that word....becoming. I have never really thought of it in that sense before...but, I have a few of my little blessings that are also "becoming"! This gave me a great encouragment for the people they are turning into. Happy Birthday, Christian! Did Newel make it home on time then?

    ReplyDelete
  3. He got that red hair from the ride to the hospital. Jason scared it into him. With 4 redheads in my house I've quickly had to learn red hair equals high maintenance. Wouldn't have it any other way! We all need a little spice in our lives!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And now is he going to watch Harry Potter??? We're going to have a HP marathon over Thanksgiving...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mellyn, I always did wish for another red head ... but turns out, one was enough :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kayla, he did make it. Tired and stressed. And as relieved as I was to have him there ... Mellyn and I had been having so much fun, I couldn't tell contractions from side splitting laughter. Everyone should take a girlfriend for the "waiting" just once :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, Cindy ... as soon as school is out, next week is devoted to Harry. Can't wait¡

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fine looking young man!

    ReplyDelete