"Home is the place where, when you have to go there, they have to let you in."

-- Robert Frost

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Let's go back to Thanksgiving

I unplugged.


Really unplugged.


Gathered up, closed up shop, and headed an hour and a half up to Breckenridge, CO for five glorious, turkey filled days.








We lucked out getting a last minute deal on a house that sat with the ski lift right out the front door.  Independent kids came and went all day while I threw food at them.




They were in heaven.  I was in heaven.  Eliza wasn't in heaven being left behind at first but was easily distracted with games, books, naps, movies and one on one hot tub-ing with mom.






And I had time.


Miles and miles of un-distracted time.


For board games and reading and leisure meals and togetherness.


Why does getting away from all the "stuff" that clutters life always open my eyes to the more important "stuff" right under my nose? I don't know.  But it was the greatest way to celebrate gratitude.


And now that we're back .... there's a 5th grade wax museum and 2nd grade economics "store" to make for and a 6th grade musical/play with lines to learn and a Freshman dance class final to choreograph and a young women/young men's church talent show and a Relief Society dinner skit to perform in ... all this week.


And the Christmas boxes look like they threw up on top of the unpacked Thanksgiving vacation out in the living room and hall.




Certainly more "stuff" that I'm grateful that I get to do day in and day out.


But I can't help but feel it.


Let's go back, shall we?

7 comments:

  1. How awesome! Although I laughed that you took Eliza "hot tubing." I was like--how can you have a hot tube and not melt the snow? But then I realized you probably took her in the hot tub, not on a hot tube...which sounds like a much better idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cindy, we could invent hot tubing ... it would be perfect for mother's with children too young for cold conditions :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! That looks like a glorious way to spend Thanksgiving. Now I know how I want to spend mine next year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh that looks like heaven!!!
    And congratulations! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Marlowe....just saw your comment over at Sarah's and I just had to pop over to say congrats!!!:) We are praying for another ourselves so this really touched my heart!

    LOVE Colorado like crazy and wish we lived closer. What a beautiful way to spend thanksgiving. Your pictures are gorgeous!
    have a happy day marlowe

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your pictures are really great!
    What a wonderful escape you had. And that's a lot of projects for just one week. I hate homework...don't tell my kids that ;)

    ReplyDelete