"Home is the place where, when you have to go there, they have to let you in."

-- Robert Frost

Monday, November 21, 2011

Thanksgiving racketeering



I don't like racketeering.

Elementary school Thanksgiving lunch feels like racketeering.

The trick is to find a reason to get the parents in the door and then hit them broadside financially.  I understand.  I just can't say as I love it.

I pay twice the price for the adult lunch as the kids and get the same exact meal ... size, nutritional value, appeal and all.

I'm assaulted by the brimming school lobby book fair boasting 75% mark up.

I'm affronted with cries for spirit wear purchases and long faces that we're not sporting more t-shirts with falcons on them.

And I'm a heel if I'm the only parent not participating because I'm not highly skilled in slamming down pressed "turkey" in 20 minutes.

The only genuine thing I can see through all the racket is the thrill that I'm there.

And so on the thankful side of the whole Thanksgiving lunch experience:

I can't help but feel gratitude at the delight of a baby sister getting to eat "wunch" at "kool".
Gratitude for kids who are excited at the simplest of things, like a mom coming just to see them.
Gratitude that I already made a donation.
Gratitude for teachers and education.
And gratitude that today, I left my wallet at home.

1 comment: