"Home is the place where, when you have to go there, they have to let you in."

-- Robert Frost

Monday, January 23, 2012

Bedside manner

I don't ever remember my mother taking a sick day.    If she did, I just can't recall it.

If she had ... and I'd stood by watching her lay around eating fantastic food brought by all of her lovely friends whilst nodding approval at my dad tackling mountains of dirty toddler diapers, I might have felt an upset in the balance of reality possibly leading to a tear in the fabric of the time/space continuum (too much BBC Dr. Who this weekend, sorry) ....  

And I might have had to devise a plan to get her back on her feet.

First, I'd make sure her friends brought great magazines she never gets to read along with that food. She'd have plenty of time to scour them until she absolutely hates the walls of her own home and is itching to paint, reupholster, frame, sew .... everything.



Then, I'd make sure her Ipad was close at hand so she could cruise websites she's never had two cents worth of interest in until her disinterest turns to reluctant boredom addiction and she's seen everything on there twice AND is ready to craft or cook herself into a full blown insane frenzy.  


For sure, I'd spend the day taking a tooth from not-so-loose to bloody horror with updates every two minutes despite her queasy pleas to stop because ... after all, it's not every day you get a captive audience.



Next, I'd most certainly make her watch every single lovin' episode of PBS Curious George on Netflix until she's ready to scream at that man with the yellow hat, "Why ... oh WHY do you keep leaving a monkey with a three year old mentality alone and then wondering how he gets into so much trouble???"


And if none of that would work, I'd just suit up, haul her purse off the counter, surf for her keys and head for the door announcing that I would "drive da jeep to get da kids".


That, my friends, would most certainly put her back on her stilts after four days.  Just bettin' it would.

4 comments:

  1. OH my goodness.... LOVE the boots on those cute legs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey--I can't find you on pinterest!!! :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. How lucky you are to have such a big helper! She is SO STINKING CUTE.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sick days? What are sick days? ;)
    Hope you've had plenty of time to heal properly.
    Awesome pictures!! My daughter just lost her two front teeth, within days of each other. It makes for great photo ops!

    ReplyDelete