"Home is the place where, when you have to go there, they have to let you in."

-- Robert Frost

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Happy New Years

It's going to be a hum dinger of a one for us and there's lots to say on that account but not today.  I'm horking down a bag of pretzels just so's I can document our holiday wrap up before my blood sugar plummets leaving my lifeless carcass laying over by the heater vent begging for warmth and cursing that same said bag of pretzels.


In the meantime, thank you all for the well wishes and kind thoughts expressed!  We're surprised, nervous and excited all at the same time.


I was so looking forward to the winter break with no schedules or "have to's".  And then it went a lot like this:


Child:  Mom, will you get us some egg nog at the grocery store next time you go?


Mom:  Sweetheart, you may never say egg nog ever again.


Child:  Can we have some of those cookies the neighbor brought?


Mom:  No, I ate them all and now, you may never say cookies ever again.


Husband:  Did you add so-and-so to the Christmas card mailing list?


Mom:  I did, and you may never say Christmas cards ever again.


Every moment of life tainted by nausea and enhanced by a deep chest cough.


And so, today's first day back to school was beginning to be highly anticipated as my life ... house and all, look like an earthquake happened and I really need the peace that order brings to my nauseated existence.


Then one child had a panic attack ... and I mean seriously a panic attack ... getting out of the car at the elementary school curb this morning.  It hurt my heart so badly to realize that even though my brain is topsy turvy right now, the only place that one child wants to be is at home where the fun is ongoing.  On the surface, some days, it just looks crazy to me.  


But, they don't see the laundry piles, the dishes undone, the legos I keep stepping on, the couch pillows I pick up a million times a day or the mother who is green around the gills.


They just see home.


So, here's the winter break vacation highlights and our own New Years rockin' Eve.  When I look at it this way, I feel the same.  Like there's no place I'd rather be.  Even though I secretly know that the mom taking these pictures, was thinking in her mind every step of the way, "Just put one foot in front of the other and you'll live through this day."



Constant challenge to a race.



Lots of convincing that this could be fun.



Showing Newel our favorite zoo.  He was just as hooked as we were.








Headbandz ... a game for future auditors.


And New Year's Eve, a dance party to remember.



5 comments:

  1. Happy New Year!!
    you guys sure have been having fun.:)
    The group shot at the zoo was awesome.
    We love zoos too.
    Love the sparklers and the dance party.
    have a happy day marlowe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As someone sitting just on the other side of the sickness, (feeling marvelous at 26 weeks) I hope it passes quickly! So excited for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry you're feeling crummy!
    As far as school panic attacks...My older son went through this in 5th grade. What a helpless feeling as a mom. I hope it was just a NO I DON'T WANNA GET OUTTA MY PJS moment for your youngster, and that tomorrow is smooth as butter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel so bad for your son! Hope that phase passes quickly...as does your nausea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, I just love the black giraffe tongues!

    ReplyDelete