"Home is the place where, when you have to go there, they have to let you in."

-- Robert Frost

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

It sure is an honor

The greatest reward had to be how pleased Annie was of herself for having accomplished the honor roll.  Our grading system really begins to make more traditional sense in middle school and she had a huge adjustment first semester from charter school to public district.  So to her ... this was huge and worthy of grand celebration.

So, we hauled our otherwise lazy bones out of bed this morning at 5:30 a.m to get bigger kids where they needed to be and then whooped it up for a rare breakfast at McDonald's.


Until the start of the school award ceremony held during first period.


That face said it all.


We even found her middle school companion/errant brother taking a very slow saunter to the water fountain and bathroom in the hall.  We convinced him to join us for the celebration .... with a little persuasive promise of the lemonade and cookie reception to follow ... and it never hurts to skip first period, I think ... especially when your mother just caught you already trying to do so.

But we lost him to a bleacher full of girls on gym entry.  I couldn't even fit them all into the camera frame.  I'm going to have to lock him up.  In addition to our own bunch, however, they were a great cheering section for Annie.

It's always fun to get a sneak peek into the school world of teenage kids.


Especially when this boy has no qualms about heading back up the stairs to the classrooms, hanging over the balcony and shouting down to the commons below, "Bye Mom, Love you!" before high five-ing buddies and supposedly heading back to class.

Way to go Annie! Proud of that girl and just as honored to be her mom.



4 comments:

  1. that last pic is too too sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is awesome!! My favorite part was when your son yelled "I love you"...melts my heart, as I'm sure it did yours too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoy it when he'll say "I love you," I have one who says it only very rarely...

    ReplyDelete
  4. On further reflection, I think I can see right through him. The willingness to haul Eliza for lemonade and cookies + the " I love you mom" = magnetism.

    ReplyDelete