"Home is the place where, when you have to go there, they have to let you in."

-- Robert Frost

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Citizenship in the community

I don't talk politics.  And this is not a political post.  But last night Newel asked me to accompany him to something he felt important.


And I was in awe watching people speaking so passionately about things they seriously believe in.



Trying to make a difference in their worlds.

Regardless of sides, it was fun to see folks enrapture themselves in American dreams.  And it was inspiring to watch Newel voice his thoughts and run for a position as a county delegate.


Christian came along, too, as part of his "citizenship in the community" merit badge requirement. I thought he would be bored.  He was as enthralled as I was over the processes of our great country and the delivery of devoted opinion.  When he walked into the caucus wearing his scout shirt, the chairman was so excited he asked him to lead the group in the Pledge and from there out, Christian was a celebrity. I think every senior gentleman wanted to take him home.

 

It made my heart swell in so many ways.  And then, he and I sat whispering about the goings on and determined that politics is a very difficult business.  There's never any way of making everyone happy.  And no matter what you say or do, someone won't be pleased.

Huh, I thought .... not much different than being the mom.

1 comment:

  1. i love politics. and i love the mom analogy. funny.

    ReplyDelete