"Home is the place where, when you have to go there, they have to let you in."

-- Robert Frost

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

pavlov's dog

Is it wrong to brainwash so that no matter where they are or how far they roam, certain sensory impulses will always produce a "conditioned reflex" for home? 


White Rolls
2 Dozen

Dissolve 1 Tbls yeast, 1 Tbls sugar and 1/4 Cup of warm water in a small bowl. Set aside.

Scald 1 Cup milk, 1 stick of butter and 1/2 Cup of sugar in a pot on the stove.

Pour milk mix into a mixing bowl.  Let cool for a minute then add 2 eggs beaten.  Mix while adding 2 cups flour and 1 1/2 tsp salt.  (For my altitude, I add 2 tsp dough enhancer).

Continue to beat while adding yeast mixture about 3-4 minutes.

Add up to 3 Cups of flour more, a little at a time, until dough is no longer sticky and should be sliding around the bowl. 

Cover with non-stick sprayed saran wrap in a greased bowl to rise to double.  I set mine in the oven with the light on.

Punch down after doubled (about 1 hour).  Divide dough into two pieces.  Roll out on a piece of parchment to a large circle about 1/4 inch thick.  Brush with melted butter.  Cut with a pizza cutter to 12 pie sliced pieces.  Roll crescent style from the big end and place on a sprayed cookie sheet with a little space between them.  Rise in the oven till double (about 1 hour).  Bake 350 for 10-13 minutes.

Recipe easily doubled.


My scientific method proves the hypothesis positive.  I get loads of after school teenage conversation this way ... almost in over-load :)

3 comments:

  1. I think I'd sit and chat awhile with those rolls too!!:) I could so use a batch with tonights dinner.
    thanks for sharing the recipe.
    have a happy day marlowe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tried these last night and they're fantastic! I'm adding them to my ever increasing "favorite rolls" section of my recipe box. Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! I tried these a second time and used half white and half fresh ground whole wheat. They came out every bit as amazing ... and less guilty :)

      Delete