"Home is the place where, when you have to go there, they have to let you in."

-- Robert Frost

Monday, March 12, 2012

sunlight and longer days

Yes, please.


We'll iron out the return of morning darkness soon enough.

My big kids were relating to younger ones last night over dinner, of days when I blackout blinded their windows and enforced 7 o'clock-actually-in-bed-bedtime as they listened to neighborhood kids continue playing in the cul-de-sac below.

They were waking up at 5 a.m regardless of the bedtime in those days.

And none attending a full day of school yet.

And some were refusing naps.

And I was juggling three in diapers making quiet evening time preciously precious.

Every day buzzed to exhaustion.



Things do evolve, I reminded them.  Though I'm still getting up in the 5 o'clock hour and sending folks off to bed around 8ish on a school night, there is a huge difference.  People take their own showers and do their own hair.  There's eager assistance with the only one who really needs help.  They are sent and they go.  They are called and they come.  These days are so different from those.

So, even though many around me choke when I mention, yes, this baby is my seventh, I cannot compare to friends having their second or third or fourth.  I look at them in amazement at what they do ... at what I did.

And then be ever grateful for the extra helpful hands that over time, have learned to bring just a little more sunlight into my longer days.


7 comments:

  1. Annika gets up by 6 no matter when I put her to bed. I dread daylight savings just for that, she's a disaster by 6:30 but if it's light out until 8 the weeping and wailing goes on and on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel your pain, Felicity! Eliza was a bit strung out last night too. But big kids entertained in the longer evening hours and as dark approached, when I said go, all exhausted people went — not a word nor a sound, and I thought — this is what heaven is like :)

      Delete
    2. And ... it sure beats those days back when we had more than one strung out!

      Delete
  2. I totally 'get' this post Marlowe. I feel the exact same way (minus a pregnancy)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I get this too...I had 3 in diapers at the same time too...Three under 3. Yet, sometimes it seems easier than them getting older.
    Thank goodness for Spring :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't tell you how many different things I tried to deal with daylight savings during the years I had 3 in diapers--I tried gradually changing our schedule to prepare ahead of time, I used blackout shades, all sorts of things. Nothing ever worked, and 3 cranky 1 year olds adjusting to the time change is really a nightmare!

    Glad to see you got the bees!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to see they made it through the winter :)

      Delete