"Home is the place where, when you have to go there, they have to let you in."

-- Robert Frost

Thursday, May 3, 2012

birthdayed

If you only eat the crumbs at the bottom of the cookie bag, the calories don't count.

My mother said it, so I believe it.

And if a birthday slides quietly by, you didn't really get any older, right?  Same principle?


Monday was my turn.

Newel felt the need to apologize for such a quiet, low-key birthday. He needn't have. Low key days are few and far between ... and my favorite. 

Cake brought by a friend, dinner by another.

Piddling around with Newel on a rare day off, making landscaping plans, enjoying lunch together, shutting my eyes for an afternoon nap, sitting on some sold furniture tossed out on the driveway waiting for scary Craig's listers to come and get it as kids play in the fading evening light ... what could be more my current speed or need?

All topped off by eight sibling phone messages singing Happy Birthday, catching up with parents, and numerous emails and other computer well wishes that all sent my heart to the moon. 


I didn't have anyone to stand back to back with me and see how tall I'd grown.  Just help with the candles.  But around here I seem to be shrinking in height anyway .... and growing in circumference instead ... with no help from all that cake :)

And this?  This ... 


about sums up the rest of my week in all too many ways, as I've yet to enjoy a low-key day since.


Thank you, everyone, for making it a great day to celebrate and feel celebrated!

9 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! That picture of Eliza passed out on the floor is just too much! How cute is she???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heppy Birthday! That last shot is a gem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! I hope you had a fabulous day! Wish I was there to share your special day. And you're what.....like 27 this year? :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. happy birthday! LOVE that last picture!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday Marlowe!!! And I love the pic of Eliza, that's hysterical!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday!! Despite all the craziness I hope you are having a wonderful birthday week:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday, Marlowe! Sorry this is a tad late. Just know we were thinking of you on your birthday. Glad it was low key and you got to enjoy your special day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy (belated) Birthday!!! I love low key days...yours sounded like the best!
    Love the pics of your sleeping babe :)

    ReplyDelete