"Home is the place where, when you have to go there, they have to let you in."

-- Robert Frost

Monday, May 21, 2012

solar sunday

Before I say anything, I'm fully aware that viewing a solar eclipse through a really black x-ray is not considered the safest method.  I googled it. I get it.  But it's what we did for the only eclipse I can remember back in the late 80's and it worked just fine then. I used the same method yesterday, and it worked just as well leaving none of us squinting, seeing spots or wiping watery sunburned eyes. Plus, we had cloud coverage which was a double shield of minor disappointment.

Pulling out this beauty from my childhood scrapbook, turned it all into a grand nostalgic party. Eating ice cream on the driveway, remembrance of doing the same so many years ago as a kid just their age, and relating a tale of a girl with a sewing pin in her foot whose father thought he could remove it with a little homemade surgery before giving in to the professionals down at the hospital.

Good times.

Times that I can still feel in the sole of my foot every time it rains ... thank you, Dad.

But life is made of childhood memories, and I hope twenty years from now in the lives of these kids, they'll look back and remember our very own solar Sunday.





2 comments:

  1. Oh wow! That is awesome. I've never heard of looking at it through x-rays. Even cooler that it was your OWN x-ray, although sorry about your dad thinking he could do the homemade surgery!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So fun, and lol about the pin!!

    ReplyDelete