"Home is the place where, when you have to go there, they have to let you in."

-- Robert Frost

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

favorite things

This is a little backlogged.  It seems impossible to keep up with life some days.  But there's always tons of stuff I just don't want to forget.

Like this lonely girl:



That's the only picture I took of her in our last spring snow but she's still milling around. There's a wild flock not far from here but she refuses to be a part of it.  Either she's an outcast or she really wants to be a domesticated chicken.  She certainly tries to join our gang.

She's full of surprises.

Like the day she flew smack into my bedroom window and lay beneath shaking off the stun of the impact.

And the day Celia was home alone after school with the back doors perched open to bring in the air and she tried to come right into the living room.  Celia thought she was a robber.

And the day Christian was doing some chores and she flew off the roof right at this head and he freaked thinking he was being attacked.

Still, she just lumbers through once in awhile.


This is our favorite Friday night activity.  Dinner, a dessert, and this series on Netflix or purchased on iTunes. These nights are so anticipated, my teens will turn down other invites with friends just to be here. It's that magical.    


When Newel's stories get going.  This ... this, I love.


I'm eating this summer salsa from my sister in law, On. Everything.  Maybe it's because I'm pregnant or maybe it's because it's easy and fantastic.

Salsa Sorte

1 can black beans rinsed
1 can kidney beans rinsed
1 can corn
small bunch of green onions chopped
Cilantro chopped
3-4 Roma tomatoes chopped
2 avocados chopped

Good Season's Italian dressing mix made according to package directions and poured on top. Chill.

Now, I try to get our family off preservative-y stuff when I can, so I make my own Italian mix, even though the Good Season's stuff tastes so good.

Italian Dressing Mix

1 Tbls garlic salt
1 Tbls onion powder
1 Tbls white sugar (optional if trying to be sugar free)
2 Tbls dried oregano
1 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp dried basil
1 Tbls dried parsley
1/4 tsp celery salt
2 Tbls salt

Basically take a little of everything you have in your spice cabinet and mix it together :)  Really, I have made this lacking one ingredient and it's still good.

Keep mixed together in a Ziploc bag or other plastic container in your cabinet.  It really becomes a staple in and of itself.

Then, I sprinkle about a Tbls of my mix on my chopped salsa and drizzle with a little vinegar and oil and a Tbls of water. Mix and chill or dig right in.

We eat this stuff plain on a pita.  Or with chips.  Or with pita chips. I'll grill up some white fish to put on a corn tortilla with this on top.  Chicken on a flour tortilla the same way.  Melt chips and cheese under the broiler and then dump spoonfuls on top to make fantastic nachos .. with our without diced chicken, pulled pork or shredded beef.

It's addicting. And versatile.  And healthy.


Loving my back deck right now.  It's a whole new living space.

And can't help but smile when I look out the window and see the deck plants my southern California husband brought home from Home Depot :)  I stood there as he proudly unloaded them and said, "Um, you do realize that lemon trees are not indigenous to Colorado, right?"

But how do you squash a man's enthusiasm over what's ingrained in his soul?

You don't.  You let the cold nights do it and in the meantime work your darnedest to keep those suckers alive.


I know it's June now, but we had a family Cinco de Mayo party on our newly filled out deck, accompanied by grilled fish tacos and that previously mentioned salsa.

It was a fitting part of our anniversary "remember when" weekend because we always recall the fireworks over Atlanta the night before our big day.



And we repeated the celebration for Memorial Day weekend, utilizing our new gas fire pit with marshmallow roasting fun.


You wouldn't believe the smell of these woods after a rain. It's got to be the top of my "favorite smells" list.

And second would be when the lilac tree blooms outside my kitchen window.


I want to hold how this girl's hand feels in mine, all squishy and soft and trusting.


She had a need for a new summer wardrobe. Lacking the energy to go shopping, I made some online purchases. New clothes started arriving by mail and she'd get so excited with each package while announcing against my best efforts that the "trash man" not the "mail man" had brought her new clothes.

She even told several of my friends who complimented her attire ... "The trash man brought it to me!"

Gotta get that trash man and that mail man straight or it takes on a whole new meaning ... especially to my friends. 

And here's that sweet little voice I hope I never forget.  

Newel insists the kids keeps showers to the length of a "Navy shower" or as Eliza call it ... "Naby shower".  Though she prefers a "Naby baff".  Bet the Navy doesn't have baths.

It all changes too quickly.



5 comments:

  1. Marlowe,
    Your photos are always so gorgeous! And I always enjoy reading your posts. : )
    Melea

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG - the pic of the sun coming through the trees over the wood pile. GORGEOUS! And how do you get that sweet girl to take a shower!?!? Amazed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your deck....the furniture....the fire pit...everything! Do you have problems with bugs...or can you really enjoy it out there? I love the laugh till you cry moments too! I am definitely going to check out Merlin now.....we need to find something that we will all enjoy watching together....it has been too long! And tell Eliza.....Hey!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh...I love that the "garbage man" brought her new clothes.

    Your deck is AMAZING!! And your Friday nights look just like ours. I will be so sad when those days are over.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your deck is beautiful! And your pics too!

    ReplyDelete