"Home is the place where, when you have to go there, they have to let you in."

-- Robert Frost

Monday, June 25, 2012

gardening competition

Once Mother's Day clears, and our cold mornings back off, I itch to get my hands in the dirt. I'm not great at it by a long shot.  It's just inbred from years of growing up with the smell of fresh turned earth in my lungs.


This year, I'm even less great and my agility is shot. But I've got a ton of super competitive kids who are both.


(Yes, I'm aware that those are not the best shoes for tiller lessons but he'd already done his fair share in plowing the entire area and muddied up his regulars. It was time to stand back and teach some others a thing or two.)



Hence ... the Gardening Competition.

Rules:  Whatever they wanted to plan, plant and care for in their own square space.  No motherly dictatorship.

So, we have spaces full of flowers with a few vegetables mixed in.  We have spaces full of vegetables only.  And for the boys, who teamed up to build a more "manly" garden plot ... salsa garden only with the hottest variation of chili peppers imaginable, green onions and Roma tomatoes.







There'll be prizes in the end for the best categories ranging from weed free to vegi production and floral arrangement.  But, I think the thrill lies in the fact that Mom didn't care what we planted.  A free for all at the gardening center coupled with personal responsibility, was magic enough.

Two weeks of hundred degree heat without a drop of rain in sight has been an uphill battle but I stepped out there this morning and all is alive and well and going strong.


Some mighty fine gardeners and the game is on.

3 comments:

  1. Such a great idea--I'm totally jealous right now of your space. And a little jealous of the heat as well, as we sit here on yet another chilly June day....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, what a great idea!! Can't wait to see who wins! You have some very good helpers :)

    ReplyDelete