"Home is the place where, when you have to go there, they have to let you in."

-- Robert Frost

Monday, June 11, 2012

taming a wild swarm

"I don't even have any good skills. 
You know, like nunchuk skills, bow hunting skills, computer hacking skills 
... Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills."
 — Napoleon Dynamite

My fear of bees has always been right up there with another's fear of spiders or clowns.

Bees can sense fear and learning to control that is a whole new power.

I'm pretty sure when we moved here, Newel never ever dreamed he'd learn about beekeeping much less, how to tame a swarm of wild bees. And then a wild swarm was found back on our property this weekend.


This time, I was banned from being the sidekick (blah, blah, pregnant) but our incredible friend and neighbor came. He was amazingly helpful and together, he and Newel wrangled these with some pretty smooth skill. There's another colony in a tree nearby and I'm hoping those bees camp out awhile because next time, I'm in.



Those little creatures are so amazing to me.  Industrious. Mathematical. Loyal.  Once their queen is captured, all the little lost strays will follow to where ever she is taken.



And follow they did as my own personal bee tamer brought them to a new home so they could work for me.



Now if only it were as easy to tame a swarm of wild kids.



5 comments:

  1. Oh Marlowe, I was just wondering if you guys had gotten your beehives! So did you just have an empty box sitting around waiting for a wild group? I can't believe that you actually found one, that is so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That. Is. Awesome. He's the best for doing that. I would so SO love to have bees but the Tolerant of Goats/Chickens/Garden/whatever Man draws the line at bees. Alas. Then again, I tried to draw the line at big satellite dish and that didn't work...hm...

    Bees in a bucket. Y'all have all the fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok that totally freaks me out, but oh to have some fresh honey. What a dream!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Impressive! And I love the quote! Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the duct taped ankles! I hope you get a lot of tasty honey from your little worker bees!

    ReplyDelete