"Home is the place where, when you have to go there, they have to let you in."

-- Robert Frost

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

nesting vicariously

Pre-baby, my brain goes through a crazed nesting overhaul.  I say crazy because it went something like this:

I need lights strung across my patio.  The baby needs lights on the patio!

There must be a garden.  A baby must have a garden!

These walls need to be painted white.  Every baby needs clean white walls!

Out with the carpet. No baby can lay on such dirty carpet!

Green grass. Green grass. Fill that baby's nose with the smell of green grass!

And the insanity pushes me onward .... I think it's gotten worse with each baby I've had. Multiply that by seven :)

Poor Newel.  Where most husbands rush out in the middle of the night for chop suey and watermelon, he spent more time down at the Home Depot managing my nutty requests. 

I imagined him entering the door, hailed by the good ole boys who work there, guffawing and slapping him doggedly on the back exclaiming, "What's the old bag got you renovating now? And when's that baby a'comin'??"

Okay, maybe not that bad, but once I had the baby, one of the big kids did ask, "Mom, can you stop nesting vicariously through us now ... please???"

And, though I've cooked another human being faster than my handy man has managed to remodel my girl's dormitory bathroom ... I think, yes, the dry wall dust of the nesting craze is finally settling.

And what's not done can take a back seat because ... that baby?  Why ... she didn't hardly notice after all.     







Finished project pictures to come ... eventually ... if I ever grow another arm  :)

3 comments:

  1. oh so exciting! And I loved this post. It just makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it. I am not sure what my "nesting" thing is about right now, because I am not pregnant. :( But there has barely been a room that hasn't been touched in the last few months. Somehow everything is just driving me crazy now, after almost 3 years in the house and not doing a thing! I have often wondered how people that don't have a lot of kids (are pregnant a lot) get things done....because that is when almost all of my projects get done....when I am pregnant! Can't wait for the final pictures of everything. Did you and the kids do most of the work yourselves?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha...it could me MUCH worse.
    Forgive me, I'm just getting caught up on your posts :)

    ReplyDelete