"Home is the place where, when you have to go there, they have to let you in."

-- Robert Frost

Monday, September 17, 2012

commanding chief of the boat

Anyone visiting our home lately has raised their eyebrows and asked, "Sailboats?"


No ... I tell them on closer look ... music leading.


In Mormon-ville, the place where I spend so much of my time ... every child stands ready to jump in and play the piano anytime, anywhere, in any meeting that has need .. by the age of eight.

Just kidding.

Sort of.

It is one very valuable skill as a missionary.

And I think nearly every mother knows that and gives it a whirl.

And that's great until it really just isn't your thing.

And I mean REALLY isn't your thing.


A few months ago, his group of boys was asked to provide a chorister for the opening exercises to the men's meeting. Not one other boy was willing to stand up front and "humiliate" himself.

But Christian isn't super self conscious.

He said he just drew his name in the air to the beat of the music.

I told him I could teach him correctly if he'd like.

He said, only if I'd buy him his own hymn book.

I said, only if he'd endure my awful playing as he learns to lead.


He's braved the learning curve.

And I've tried not to embarrass him by poking my head in there too often to see how he's doing.

One Sunday, Newel came home and told how Christian stopped the men as none of them were singing, re-announced the page number, waited till they were ready and started once again.

Christian said he'd felt dumb.  Newel said he'd looked commanding.


And now he has command over what I hope will be a valuable skill of a different sort.

2 comments:

  1. Way to go Christian! I HATE it when people don't sing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go Mom! So many youth have no idea how to lead. This is actually part of our FHE tonight. ROCK ON! I'm going to tape up some sailboats right now.

    ReplyDelete