"Home is the place where, when you have to go there, they have to let you in."

-- Robert Frost

Thursday, September 20, 2012

lunch solutions

Not everything I dream up works.  But when it does ... well, there's an internal private celebration in this mother's heart.

A while back, there was too much sibling contention for my liking and I couldn't quite solve how to hurdle the discontent.

My heart kept telling me they just needed more opportunities to serve each other because doing something for someone else turns selfishness around .. most of the time. My brain said punish the masses till they can be nice.

And maybe I was doing a little too much for them that they could do for themselves .. and each other.

I set a plan for each child to take charge of the day's lunch making for everyone. Learn what they like and don't and provide that lunch just as they would like it provided to them.

There were a lot of groans at first.  And it was hard to wake one child earlier than the rest to get the job done sufficiently.

So, I switched it around to the night before prep. Now each has a night to get everything ready for the morning. We've had spectacular success and very few complaints. Maybe it helped that they were relieved to no longer be awoken at 5:30 a.m for the job :)

Whatever the transformation, each child has learned just what the other's preferences are and mornings are easier in getting every shift out the door with a hot breakfast and a smile from a less stressed mother.



I've seen an unsolicited transformation in taking the responsibilies above and beyond.

 



And sometimes, one steps in to help another just for the companionship ... and the grape catching fun.

2 comments:

  1. I'm always thrilled when I can override the voice in my head calling for boot camp or martial law or corporal punishment and go with the voice in my heart...

    ReplyDelete