"Home is the place where, when you have to go there, they have to let you in."

-- Robert Frost

Friday, October 12, 2012

factual friday

I've been basking in the glow of a much needed uplift ... and not of the surgical kind, though I'm sure one of those would be beneficial too :) You'll find my favorite of the faves here.

I promise, you don't even have to be a Mormon to drink in those words. This two edged sword really weighed on my mind this entire week:

"In our day it is easy to merely pretend to spend time with others. With the click of a mouse, we can “connect” with thousands of “friends” without ever having to face a single one of them. Technology can be a wonderful thing, and it is very useful when we cannot be near our loved ones. My wife and I live far away from precious family members; we know how that is. However, I believe that we are not headed in the right direction, individually and as a society, when we connect with family or friends mostly by reposting humorous pictures, forwarding trivial things, or linking our loved ones to sites on the Internet. I suppose there is a place for this kind of activity, but how much time are we willing to spend on it? If we fail to give our best personal self and undivided time to those who are truly important to us, one day we will regret it.
Let us resolve to cherish those we love by spending meaningful time with them, doing things together, and cultivating treasured memories."
Wow. That's a lot to chew on.

I love keeping up on a blog. And I love the "relationships" that the blog cultivates. And I love that it's a place to keep my memories. And I love that when they are all forgotten, they'll be right here. And who doesn't love comments that spur thought and conversation, for heaven sake!

But, sometimes, I get irritated at my guilt for feeling pulled by one more thing I've committed to doing. And I get a little tired of thinking "I should blog this" when I really should be living it. And who wants to write stuff worrying about offending the world around them?

So ... keeping this comment close to heart, I'll still enjoy this little hobby of mine but being very mindful as I do. And .. it has also really made me okay with the fact that right now, as I hold a wobbly baby on my lap to type a few "day in the life" memories of the week, factual friday is about all I can eek out.

Cuz all she really wants right now is for me to talk to her ... or else, and that's okay by me.

So here we go quickly ...

First frost. Boo.

New juicer. Yeah!

After the LDS conference last weekend, we invited a few old family friends over for dinner. They're suburb dwellin' folks who don't understand why we ever left for the country so we wanted to give them a real taste.

My girls sure had a fun time helping with the set up as we snagged serving dishes and pretty glasses over at the Salvation Army to give our party a little flair without breaking the bank. That place is the best for decorative odds and ends on a dime. And Annie made a pumpkin name setting for each guest. She's so creatively awesome!


We'd planned a pretty outdoor gathering but the weather turned on us so we squeezed it all indoors by our fireplaces. I snapped a few pictures of the set up before friends arrived and then put my camera away to enjoy their company and host.


See? Even forgot to remove the plastic covering the desserts to keep little fingers out before I snapped the shot. Oh well.



Then, we put all the kids to work grinding meat for hamburgers and juicing a thousand apples for cider. I do wish I'd gotten pictures of that but will content myself with the fun evening of memories.


Boy, did that ever get the juicing ball rolling. I'm not lucky enough to live anywhere near where apple orchards exist, but I did hit Walmart this week to pick up what I thought were 5lb bags of apples at $0.98 a pound. Turned out they rung at the entire bag for $0.98 and even the manager couldn't fix the system glitch. So I doubled my purchase and have been juicing for fun all week. I love a good deal ... or mistake ... whatever.


Had a little help from my friend.


And I hated the thought of wasting the pulpy, peely discard so I made gallons of sauce.


And chucked the cores to the chickens.


Not a bit wasted. Feels good to be resourceful.

Otherwise, we spent the week trying to end the school quarter on a high. Pretty successful, I hope.

Today we head into our Fall Break and I'm ready to eat up every minute.

I'm still thoroughly enjoying moody teenagers who can. not. stand. the wait to our church boundary division this coming Sunday.

My boys are ankle deep in a Boy Scout Eagle project. Waist deep is just around the corner.

I succeeded in taking a ride on the treadmill more than once this week. But I'll be darned if I don't get that pain done in the morning, it just ain't gonna happen. It does, however, make me feel like I'm getting my strength back from a very lousy pregnancy. Which makes me happier. Which makes me nicer.

Maybe I can encourage those moody teenagers to hop on for a boost. They need one.

There are a few games I don't play with children. One is called "Smell this and tell me if it stinks." and then there's "When I do this, does it hurt?" This week I added another, courtesy of Grant called, "Spit here, Mom." 'Nuff said.

Took our Christmas card picture yesterday evening before the cold strips the trees of their colorful leaves. Ugliness, complete with butter cheese spit up and tears not necessarily from an infant. Need I say more?

Maybe this will be the last year. Maybe we just have too many personalities. Maybe we just have too many opinions.

Either way .. it's done. And if I re-read the quote above, I'll remember that it's all really about the relationships, right?

I sure hope so.

And that's factual friday.

3 comments:

  1. I really needed this post today. Thanks, Marlowe! Love the table setting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much to say. As one of those people who has struck up an internet relationship with you....I hope you don't abandon me forever! ;) But, as is usually the case, God, despite our being in different locations, different religions/theology, has put the same things on our hearts. You go hold that beautiful baby that God gave you...and bless those other bigger people that make you smell funny things and spit on things. We will be here when you have time for us....if you have time for us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kayla, one of the things about blogging that I do value the most is building relationships with amazing women in far away places. Women who, if they lived next door, I just know I'd sit and talk with all day while kids ran rampant playing. More than just an internet relationship, Kayla, I'm happy to call you a friend :)

    And I'm not planning on going ... just using less brain power in the doing of it!

    ReplyDelete