"Home is the place where, when you have to go there, they have to let you in."

-- Robert Frost

Friday, October 19, 2012

factual friday

This summer, we had an auction at church to raise funds to assist in the cost of youth camps.

An item up for bid was a long weekend of childcare for a couples getaway by some very dear retired friends.

Man, were we all over that because they are spectacular folks.

It was pretty darn hysterical to see our frantic efforts against a lot of other like minded families, to secure these friends to watch our children so we could escape, if just for a little while .. and for a good cause.

We planned to go together for one of the weekends of fall break.

Then Newel had to go to Germany for work.

And when our sweet friends heard that we'd be canceling, they wouldn't hear of it and insisted that I seize the opportunity and join Newel in Germany .. for a week. Did I mention that I love them?

The fact is ... this week is fall break. And by the time this posts, hopefully, I'll be in southern Germany eating fresh made pretzels on the way to see some castle ruins :)

That is if I don't get lost.

Newel left over the weekend to try and get work wrapped up early so I'd get to spend the latter part of the week with just him.

He left an entire travel packet for me and my little travel companion.



Isn't that the cutest little passport ever?

He took care of every detail. From car service picking Charlotte and I up to whisk us off to the airport on time, to flight arrangements, rental car on the other end, directions on the autobahn to my destination where he will meet  me, international cell phone if I get lost .. all of it.

I just have to get there.

And not end up in Switzerland.

I'm bursting at the seams for the adventure. I know the kids are in good hands. And I can't wait to enjoy every single moment ... including the joy in the journey.

It's not every day I get to sit on a plane for twelve straight hours with one child ... most especially an alternately sleeping/smiling/longing for undivided attention/ baby on my lap. Here's hoping she'll have as much fun as I'm anticipating because sometimes I over estimate ;)

And just so's the kids don't feel like Charlotte and I abandoned them on their fall break ... though I just know they'll have the time of their lives with our friends ....

Between packing preparations, we've done our darndest to rake in some fall break fun.





Alverterzane!

4 comments:

  1. wow wow wow!!! that is SO exciting Marlowe!!!!! How relaxing to travel with just one little sleepy bubs :)!! I hope you are having an amazing time (I'm sure you are :) Can't wait to hear all about it and to see the incredible pictures you will no doubt take!!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay!!! Have lots of fun and be sure to write about it when you get back! Can't wit to see all the beautiful pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! Guten Tag! Gesundheit! Danke Shein, Darling....Danke Shein. That is all I have. Have a great time. Have great flights. Relax. Take it all in. Come back and tell us all about it!

    ReplyDelete