"Home is the place where, when you have to go there, they have to let you in."

-- Robert Frost

Monday, October 8, 2012

living room redo

With all the pine wood ceiling, this house seems really dark throughout winter. And Newel is adamant that I not put white paint on real wood.  What to do, what to do.

In order to weather another winter, I felt the need for a more modern and airy and colorful change. I love the look of Scandinavian design ... white with splashy color, uncluttered and roomy.


I nested a little too heavily and when some cute couple at church bought their first house and mentioned they had no furniture ... I gave them nearly all of mine. 

And then had easily cleanable hard wood put in. 

And then started painting the walls bright white.

And then bought some whiter, brighter, wipe-able furniture, for a neutral pallet with easier to change out colorful accessories for when I get bored with the look ... as I always seem to do.



Friday, we awoke to our first smattering of snow dusting and though it continued to ice everything over with a dreary freezing rain all day long, I still felt lighter as I took these pictures with the world so grey outside.  



Could have been the fire awaiting cold kids off the bus, or the banana bread baking, or the more modern roomy feel. But whichever ... I think the winter might be brighter, at least in here.


5 comments:

  1. love it!! it looks fabulous marlowe! i would love to curl up on that little chair next to the fire and snoop through those books :) and loving those lamps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. it looks fantastic!!!
    have a happy day marlowe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the chair by the fireplace and the lamps and the blue pillows and the book stand...OK I LOVE everything about it! You did a fabulous job!

    ReplyDelete