"Home is the place where, when you have to go there, they have to let you in."

-- Robert Frost

Saturday, November 3, 2012

factual friday

The fact is, my entire week was so jam packed, this is actually factual saturday morning.

A peanut butter cup between two halves of a roll, doth not a peanut butter and nutella sandwich, make.
Though I tried.

I got really upset at the sheer amounts of wrappers laying about.


Until I realized they were mine.

Adding my sugar induced grumpy buzz to everyone else's.

I justify by telling myself Charlotte needs whole milk, not skim. Yeah, that's it.


Church trunk or treats, neighborhood hay rides, school parties, trick or treating ... each influx of candy supplements the next gathering's output.

It's how we weed out the junk.

With so many resident treat beggars, we still end up with mass amounts of sortable stuff.

I commandeer it after a day of free for all and throw away the hard candy (though I realized too late, I could probably have stored that mess for gingerbread house making later).


It's made freezer ready and kept for milk shake mixers, smores, cookie add ins, and baking needs.


Some we eat. Some we give.

Today's specialty:

Pumpkin Bread with Chopped Snickers 
(Peanut Allergies Beware)

2 cups flour
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 Tbls baking powder
2 tsp pumpkin pie spice (or cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg and ginger)
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp soda
1 cup canned pumpkin
1/2 cup milk
2 eggs
1/3 cup butter softened
1 cup chopped Snickers bar


In a mixing bowl, mix dry ingredients. Add wet ingredients. Add chopped Snickers until mixed in. Pour into a greased bread pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour and 10 minutes or until a knife inserted comes out clean.
Makes one loaf.
Cool before cutting.

Fantastic.


And this not so fat free cookie bar I made with the Milky Way bars and sent camping with the boy scouts last night. Cuz those boys burn calories hiking and carrying their stuff. And they will eat anything.

Though there was no need to convince them :)


Turtle Bars

Bar mixture:

2 cups flour
2 cups oatmeal
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp soda
1 1/2 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 cup butter softened

Incorporate by hand until resembles course meal.

Grease 9x13 pan. Layer one half of the bar mix. Press into the bottom of the pan. Bake 350 for 10 minutes. Remove hot pan and layer sliced Milky Way bars. Spread remaining half of bar mix. Press. Bake another 20 minutes.
Cool completely before cutting.

Amazing.




I made a second batch for the neighbors and used the Almond Joys between. So good. Bet the Reese's would be spectacular, too.

I wonder it there's a church function I can take a 3 Musketeers cake to. (cake mix with melted candy bars mixed in).


And ever so slowly, it works it's way out of my house without the kids ever missing it.

If only I could as easily exodus the kid's haunted house that's been residing in my basement for the last month. Perhaps with the promise of a baked good :) 

3 comments:

  1. Okay.....nummy. I have been a bit better this year at controlling my candy stealing/consumption....but, those bars/cakes would do me in for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kayla, my husband said I had taken something bad and made something worse ... But the beauty of a baked good? Bake it and take it and you'll just seem neighborly not crafty :)

      Delete