"Home is the place where, when you have to go there, they have to let you in."

-- Robert Frost

Thursday, November 22, 2012

remember november

This year, as every year, I woke up on the morning of school Thanksgiving lunch, looked at my calendar, and groaned a little inside.

I don't ever mean to groan. It's just always felt like entrapment. An over priced half froze rubber lunch pushed at parents in an effort to get them in the door where they can really hit hard with a marked up book fair and spirit wear "got to haves". Pushers, I tell ya.

"Are you coming, Mom??" my kids asked breathlessly.

"Yeah, I'm coming." I sighed.

"I can't wait to show Charlotte and Eliza to all my friends." And then it hit me. It's never just been about us being guests at the lunch.

I've been blind.

It's always been about the excitement of introducing the people who make their world go around to the one's who help them survive their days.

Showing and tell, if you will. And the hopes of making those in your association love just a little bit what you love a lot.

And I ... with baby in hand and darling sister adoring ... were the show. 




And I think that is where the meaning of Thanksgiving began to grow for me this year.

Grateful every day that I get to be their mother.

Grateful every day that I met their dad.

And, most especially grateful for these people who I, too, feel like showing to every person I meet ... See? These folks are my folks. Aren't they grand?

I'm grateful for them.

Beyond a day, a month, a season, I don't ever want to forget that.



Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!

1 comment:

  1. You and your brood are definitely show and tell worthy! Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete