"Home is the place where, when you have to go there, they have to let you in."

-- Robert Frost

Thursday, November 8, 2012

the hills are alive with the sound of music

We left the land of fairy tale castles.



And decided to cross the Austrian Alps.


I fell in love with the notion that every single village was built around not a school, or government building, or civic center ... but a church.


Every. Single. Village.

And each village had a ski lift for recreational skiing. Lift ticket? They didn't know what I was talking about. You just ski. That's all.


We had a good chuckle at German over engineering. They can build a wood pile. My boy needs a good German lesson in wood piling. Why, the biggest picture in the below collage was just a random wood pile built precisely in the middle of the national forest. You know. All neat and tidy ... just in case someone should need some neatly stacked wood.


I couldn't get enough of the variance of wood trims and painted stucco on every building. It's a beautiful craft for sure.


And I am so building window boxes on the front of my house in the spring.


This is where I started to sing "Climb Every Mountain".


And "Edelweiss".


And "Doe a Deer" .. and yes, the water running in the streams of the Alps is really turquoise blue. I have got to research why because it was stunning.


This picture ... straight out of my camera ... is where I told Newel he could put me out to live.


He said if I didn't stop singing, "You are Sixteen going on Seventeen", he just might.


But that's okay, because if you hike down the other side of the Alps you can still find a little piece of home .. only better .. because they serve drinks in real glasses. Which oddly means there must be a dishwasher in there somewhere?


But don't expect any chicken nuggets because all they have is "shrimps".


And so it goes.


5 comments:

  1. Ok that picture of where you want to live totally looks like the location of Heidi in my mind!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doesn't it though? And he wouldn't even let me out to yodel!

      Delete
  2. Oh wow! First off, I love The Sound of Music. Second, your photos are absolutely stunning!!

    ReplyDelete