"Home is the place where, when you have to go there, they have to let you in."

-- Robert Frost

Monday, January 14, 2013

be the change you wish to see


"As a single footstep will not make a path on the earth, so a single thought will not make a pathway in the mind. 
To make a deep physical path, we walk again and again. 
To make a deep mental path, we must think over and over the kind of thoughts we wish to dominate our lives."
--- Henry David Thoreau

We spent our last week of vacation skiing in Vail.

When it comes to ski rentals, we go day by day with Eliza's feet because we never know what her participation level will be.

That girl talks of nothing but getting "little skis and little boots" each and every time. And she gets attached to them which makes the return process awfully hard.

I'm right there with ya sister ... but then .. I have an affinity for all things tiny and cute. Little four year old Celia eeking out Twinkle Twinkle on that adorable pint sized violin years ago is the only reason I didn't gouge my eardrums out. And who doesn't adore those miniature shopping carts available at some stores for little folks to push around beside Mom? Setting the fact that an irresponsibly driver is suddenly free to roam aside.

But I totally digress because that's not really what this is about.

With ski boots strapped on, Newel, Eliza and the gang headed off for the slope. Newel tells me that she walked about halfway across the square before plopping down next to the village center fountain refusing to budge.

Carrying both of their gear, he reached for a parenting trick from his pocket in the form of a dime to distract her impatience. With a smile, he offered it as a "wish" to toss in the fountain. She squeezed her eyes shut, kissed it and threw, then gathered herself up and followed once again with those anvil-like ski boots making every step a painful drag.

Not far, she fell into yet another heap.

Once again, he bent, reaching for distraction. "What did you wish for back there?" he asked in hopes of perking her up.

"That I could get a little further with these boots on my feet," she said from the ground, "But I need help."

Wish granted, he sighed and carried her and the gear the rest of the way.

"I guess her wish only got her so far." he laughed with me later. "Yeah, I think she's brilliant," I said, "... because it actually did get her further than you think!"

I've been thinking since the year flipped from '12 to '13 about resolutions, as just about everybody else has.

I always make some sort of goals for the year. But a year feels so big. Somehow the motivation gets lost or forgotten in that vastness. Breaking it down, I do feel like I celebrate two fresh start beginnings within that great void. January at the beginning and August as kids head back to school. The semesterly approach does make the doing feel a little more accomplishable but still seemingly lofty for my weak resolve.

This year I feel like I'm full of "little wishes". Change I want to see in my self. Accomplishment I'd like to achieve. A path I hope to take my family down. Maybe with each little wish, I can get started just a little ways in the right direction and then motivation will inspire the folks around me to jump in and help with the rest of the journey.

At least I'm wishing it so.


Thus far, my wish for help in getting decluttered and organized has lead to each child feeling so much happier about a free-er space with very little grumbling .... surprisingly.

Wishing not to be suffering from yet another winter cold has revamped our diet and brought me through one dessert free week. I may be lingering just a little longer over that marvelous trace of toothpaste glycerine, but by golly, at least the shakes for sugar have stopped ... and did I mention I made it 1 week.

And now I'm wishing for a fussy baby to improve her sleep patterns ....

But that's the start of it.

"Be What You Wish To Seem"
--- Socrates

2 comments:

  1. I like the idea of a wish list. I got overwhelmed this year with the idea of a resolution or a word for the year. Wish list sounds....non-threatening and very....wish like. I wish I could get my kids on board with my decluttering without grumbling. Guess I will add that to my wish list for 2013! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wishes are so much easier than that one word, Kayla. Yes ... less intimidating :)

    ReplyDelete