"Home is the place where, when you have to go there, they have to let you in."

-- Robert Frost

Friday, April 12, 2013

factual friday

My current top favorite picture.


Janie was in the school spelling bee a bit ago. (Pardon the really bad iPhone pic)


That girl is ... obsessive about some things .... compulsive about others. She has routines and sticks to them. She does things her way. She rarely changes direction. She doesn't deviate or break rules. The years have taught me that will help her in life. But ...

When it comes to spelling bees, words come with certain rules to the English language. And breaking those rules for any reason makes for really hard study practice sessions. And the English language breaks all the rules.

Somehow we got through it without killing each other.

Somehow she made it to the fifth out of six rounds getting out on the word "Defiance".

Fitting.



She asked to use my tub for a bubble bath one night. Later that night whilst brushing my teeth, I found these wet used wash clothes just so on the tub edge. Yup. That's Janie.

Sometimes it's hard.

Sometimes it's so darn appreciated.



Celia had that first date she was a-flutter over.

I laughed at the planning hoopla, the coordination, girl friend banter, scheduled timing for hair, makeup, what to wear for the big event ...  boy (optional) ;)

I'm kidding.

He was not optional.

He made her entire 16 years worth living just to have been asked out.

And was so great to endure a dad's grilling at the door, even though our families are such great friends it was unnecessary ... just parental-ly fun to watch them squirm.



This has finally gotten too big for the sink.



But how do you keep a newly mobile girl from climbing the sides of the tub?



It's all fun until there's another boat in the marina with better toys.



Frustrated with boy's long hair and a week without enough hours for cuts, I pulled out the shears on a Sunday morning before church and asked Newel if he'd ever cut hair before.

"No .. but I'd like to try!!" I haven't seen him so excited since that ER doc handed him a removing tool for the staples in our oldest boys head injury at age six.



Needless to say, the boys weren't excited (so much so, I've been forbidden to post Christian's picture)

In the end, however, Grant thought it pretty great.



I walked into my room and found this happening.

I'm so in trouble.



This is one of my favorite moments at the end of the day.



Christian took home economics this semester for an easy A.

He's found it's not so easy.

And he's not getting an A.



At the top of Christian's to do list for summer ...

ever since this.

Oh boy.



Grant got his religious knot badge for scouts. That's a big one because it carries over to the boy scout uniform. Proud of him.



Charlotte and I wake up pretty early to get the first round of folks out the door with lunch and breakfast. Sometimes, it's just too hard and we can climb back in bed for a minute before shift three.

Incidentally, Newel hates my snowman pj's but on the comfort scale ... they are a 10.

Funny story about those pjs. One negative degree morning when Newel was out of town, we missed the bus and I blitzed kids to school in my snowman pjs. The car decided to die yards before the gas station at the four way stop in the center of our town. Coasting, we barely made it. Cell phoneless as well, my teens and I had to hang out sharing a microwave burrito with the cashier in the Conoco until my neighbor could come get us.

They were mortified.

Kids, not neighbors ;)

Jake the Cashier and I are on a first name basis.

And my mother was right ... don't leave home in your pjs.

Especially your snowman ones.

I have no shame.



We are in full swing of Colorado spring. Which means going between this :



And that.



And this.



And that.



And this.



And that.


And this.



It's not much different than yo-yo dieting and sort of has the same psychological effects.

However ... when the snow does come, Christian comes flying in the door from school with some sort of X-game in mind for him and Grant.

Like ski jumping down the back hill.



Personally, I'm ready for more of the warm ones. Eliza is ready for warm days too .... well, that and a hairbrush.





Soaking in the occasional warm days, we are becoming quite the competitive badminton players.


And last but not least ... if you .. like me ... are spring cleaning like mad, make sure that nothing you throw in the thrift shop bag pokes it's head out on it's way out of the car or you will bring home pitifully distrustful sadness and that stuffed friend you tried to rehome. Just sayin'.   

And those are our Friday facts.


5 comments:

  1. Love the baskets in the tub! Brilliant!! And poor Christian...old enough that a sub-par haircut really hurts...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The laundry basket bathtub is BRILLIANT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww, that last picture kind of breaks your heart, doesn't it?
    Such wonderful photos. They tell wonderful stories.
    Our Minnesota spring is much like yours, and I'm SOO ready for warmth.
    Also, I can't believe your daughter let you take her photo on her first date! She is a good sport :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Charlotte looks so big! And I am SO ready for the warm days too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww....I have been so busy cleaning my house and getting it ready for the market that I haven't been able to check in. I missed you...and your wonderful,adorable, crazy kids! Oh and Newel too! ;)

    ReplyDelete