"Home is the place where, when you have to go there, they have to let you in."

-- Robert Frost

Thursday, May 9, 2013

18 years

I remember standing in that first year and thinking that those with eighteen, nineteen ... twenty years of marriage, under their belts had been together an immense amount of time.

Doesn't feel so huge now.


It is a little funny to realize that I've had him as long as his mother had him. I think that makes us equals now :)


I know that there are a lot of marriages that don't succeed or struggle to under the best of circumstances. I'm no expert and we're definitely not flawless. Why ... we even had our own little speed bump last weekend, leaving me wishing I could return him to his mother ;)

But .. I am a firm believer in this this little gem :

"Successful marriages and families are established and maintained on principles of faith, prayer, repentance, forgiveness, respect, love, compassion, work and wholesome recreational activities." 

That sums it up. If ever I am lacking in one of those above points, I'm quickly reminded I've got to get back to that "work" portion mentioned.

When both sides work equally and unselfishly ...

When we put each other first above all else (even children and I know that's hard to grasp!) ...

When we evaluate and supply what the other one needs ... and I don't just mean flowers or foot rubs, though those are nice once in awhile ...

When we communicate all of this between us ...

All else sure seems to fall right into place. A lot of work and not a bit of it easy.


And eighteen years of "worth it". Happy Anniversary!


2 comments: