"Home is the place where, when you have to go there, they have to let you in."

-- Robert Frost

Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Back the truck up to April 24th

Ever have one of those days that, in the attempt to special things up, every turn seems painfully thwarted?

That's how I felt on Janie's birthday, but I sure hope she doesn't remember it that way ;)


I know we were late for school trying to pull together a project for the evening activity day girl's group at church. I'm aware it was disappointing that I couldn't find our traditional school treat to share at the store. I had no intention of being late to pick up for our birthday lunch together.  I'm sorry I left the "gluten free" snacks in the back of the car for that one girl. And I sure wish Newel had been there for it all.


But .... 

I loved that her focus was not on my lateness, rather on the joy of slipping away from school life to give me all the in's and out's of whosits and whatsits involving the fifth grade.


I loved that for the first time in a long time, she got to be my only focus at the girl's recognition night activity at church that night. They'd made hats that described their talents and interests, each unique to the wearer.


I loved seeing her with great friends and knowing that she was growing up surrounded by such beautiful girls. I couldn't believe how fast they were all growing.

I have a special attachment to each one from my past time as their primary president. That amazing leader there ... she's got something special in those gals-soon-to-be-young-women.


Newel hated to miss out but boy, weren't we grateful and excited over the benefits of technology. That FaceTime feature can really come in handy.



Let's be honest ... there have been plenty of moments where Janie has been my storm. But more and more lately, she's the only calm in it.


And I love seeing myself in her. She holds a special place in my heart.


Happy 11th birthday, Janie! I love your drive, your spirit, your determination but above all ... your larger than life beauty inside and out most especially on days when you wrap your arms around a subpar mom and tell her it was the best birthday ever.

I love you.

2 comments:

  1. Did you whack off all of your hair??

    I was at curves yesterday and I promise you a woman who looked just like your mom was there. It was all I could do not to go over & start talking to her!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just catching up here...Happy Birthday, Janie....again, my Lili turned 11 this month too. I tell you we are twins....although you are the tall skinny one and I am the shorter more plump one! I also think that Janie and Lili are a lot alike....Lili has been my calm amidst the storm of trying to move and get everything ready lately. It makes you open your eyes to some of the gifts God has given to them, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete