"Home is the place where, when you have to go there, they have to let you in."

-- Robert Frost

Tuesday, August 20, 2013

grant is nine

We've only been in school a few days and the morning rush is falling so that my one elementary kid has me all to himself for a chunk of time in the morning.

Yesterday morning, Grant and I put together an introductory "All about Me" poster.

It so happened to be his birthday ... so I probably mom-blasted it with too much nostalgia.

I pulled out this picture of this big brother who said nightly prayers for a little brother. He was a six year old who felt swamped in sisters.

I didn't realize how much they look alike from then to now. And a flood of their absolute connection to one another through these years, washed over me.


I wish I had a picture of those two boys pushing, drowning, chicken fighting each other in the pool last night at our family party after school. Instead, I hopped in with them and tried to seal in my mind each of their faces as the setting sun reflected off the blue water in their eyes.


I'm grateful every day that he came to us and that he completes our family.


Christian would be lost with out him, just as Grant is lost without Christian. When either/or are at home alone for any amount of time, I hear a constant whine, "When is he going to be back ... ?"





We love this crazy, sensitive, playful, hilarious, escape artist of a kid.


Happy Birthday, Grant! You are the best brother a family could ever ask for and I'm loving every minute of my time with you.



No comments:

Post a Comment