"Home is the place where, when you have to go there, they have to let you in."

-- Robert Frost

Saturday, January 4, 2014

holiday closeout

We're back to school on Monday. A little fact I'm not entirely thrilled about. I've had them all to myself and loved every minute.

I'm ready for the great clean sweep of a new year. 

I'm not ready for time to march on.

This is the year I felt I sat at the top of the roller coaster's biggest drop. Discussing Christmas gift needs and wants with Newel, it hit me all that Celia would need next year to prepare for departure to college. I felt that terrifying drop in the pit of my stomach as I perched on the edge wishing not to go over after all.

Everyone just stop right here, why don't you?

The holiday season always feels like madness when your in it.

Looking back, I realize there was more to love than not.

And I'll hold on to every beautiful piece.




The magic of temple square lights.











The always anticipated tree decorating while Bing sings "I'll Be Home for Christmas".







Cookie baking with a dad who is an expert.






The waiting ...


And waiting ...



And waiting ...


And ... waiting ...

thank you NORAD for keeping us posted so well!


An excellent cooking assistant whose preparedness against disasters goes without saying  ;)


Simple pleasures of Christmas morning like pomegranate seeds by the spoonful.





Traditional visit to our local retirement home first thing Christmas day.


These ladies and gentlemen make us forget there are presents waiting at home under the tree. 



Time with them is like no other gift ... and they play a mean game of "Go fish".


And then the reveals ...




And sharing of well thought out gifts by "secret santa's".








Followed by aftermath delight.


Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, and all that goes with it. May it be the best ever for you and yours.



Pin It

9 comments:

  1. Fun family picture--I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This Christmas has been bittersweet here as well. My son is going away to college next Fall a year early. He's ready. I am not, and Christmas hit me hard. I wondered if I was the only one…

    Glad to see you back blogging and sharing such great family pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They like to gouge us don't they? Celia keeps saying, "You know .. this is my last blah, blah, blah ..." and I smirk. She will blink and stand where I stand. I know I did.

      I feel your pain! Thank goodness they are ready :) it's the natural order of things!

      Delete
  3. I sure did love your Christmas card this year! Fun to read about you. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also loved the Christmas card. Very cute! Best of luck with the roller coaster. I wish I knew how to get off. We're looking at our first teenager this year. I could die. Remember the Murphy bed? And the crazy ride to Logan? That's been nearly THIRTEEN YEARS AGO, Marlowe. But now we have a babysitter. Silver linings, I guess. Still, Celia was just born. They let babies go off to college now??

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know, I KNOW! Even Newel and I marveled this Christmas that he and I had been together for more Christmases than either of us had been with our own families.

    Not sure how it happened. Course, he loves to stick it worse by saying that in another five years from now .. which is nothing by the way ... would measure up for Celia to when we had our first baby. Meaning .. in FIVE YEARS we could be grand parents ???

    I'm gonna be sick.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Will they call you Grand Janie, do you think? ;)

    ReplyDelete