"Home is the place where, when you have to go there, they have to let you in."

-- Robert Frost

Thursday, April 17, 2014

peter pan

"Middle school plays are awesome," Newel said leaning over to me as we cracked up over Captain Hook tossing this malfunctioning mustache over board with gusto.

And they are.

Less inhibitions, perhaps?

Janie worked so hard to audition for Peter Pan. We had that little three line tune so stuck in our brains, we woke up singing it in our dreams. At least, I did.

Boy oh, boy did she ever have the best time at it. She came out of each practice glowing, loving every bit as an Indian Brave.

Most of all, my heart nearly burst at the numbers of family friends who came to see her, taking time out of their busy lives to watch, hug my girl at the end ... even bring her flowers in congratulations. 

I'm not sure I could even express what it meant to that gal of mine, that another adult or teenager other than family would come and sit and cheer her on. 

Little acts of such kindness set the stage for who we become.






3 comments:

  1. LOVE the last picture. It's very Janie, isn't it? I remember those polished wooden stages from plays, ballet recitals, talent shows...

    ReplyDelete
  2. They haven't changed a bit ... hard chairs and all ;)

    ReplyDelete