"Home is the place where, when you have to go there, they have to let you in."

-- Robert Frost

Thursday, May 8, 2014

19 years

I opened my eyes to a 5:30am wake up call with Newel's best imitation of our alma mater fight song on the line, in celebration of nineteen years married.

An interesting introduction to a long distance celebration.

Later in the morning, I called his hotel in Detroit and ordered chocolate covered strawberries, bottle of sparkling cider and accompanying romantic note, to be delivered following a long day of client work.

As the sun set, I listened to teenagers chatter around an outdoor dinner and turned to see Newel driving up the driveway, having wrapped early and caught a day-early flight.

Surprised greetings exchanged, I called the hotel to hold the treat delivery.

But ... the new gentleman occupying room 331 of the Detroit Marriott hotel, had already graciously accepted the gift, consumed the lot, and drunk a glass to our health.

Not at all awkward.

Thanks for helping us celebrate, random stranger.



Happy Nineteen years, Newel, and to many more with never a dull moment among them. I couldn't love you more.

4 comments:

  1. So, seriously, if I received someone's anniversary gift in my newly checked into hotel room......I would not consume it.....I would give it back because obviously, it was meant for someone else! Hope the note wasn't too....ahem....intimate! :D Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bhahaha!! I loved that random stranger bit! So hilarious! You guys are both great - happy 19 years together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol! Best anniversary story ever!

    ReplyDelete