"Home is the place where, when you have to go there, they have to let you in."

-- Robert Frost

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

fall break, seeing colorado like never before

Newel's work schedule this time of year, is jam packed. Between his travel and crowded calendar, he made the time to take us away for our fall break. (Gotta wrangle time with teens somehow!)

We decided to see some of what the south of our state has to offer.

And man o man, it did not disappoint.


Right from the very start of our early morning exodus, Pike's Peak against that blue sky was stunning. As was the disappearing moon ...


Don't let the snow capped mountains fool you. It was the height of perfect weather.


And I was fully in love with the colors at every turn.



Even when we leveled out to the flatter plains, I was amazed at God's handiwork.


Our first stop had us spending the day at these natural Sand Dunes in the foothills of those mountains you can see from a distance here.


But first a little lunch at this completely empty roadside cafe. I just love little places like this.




Then we climbed to the Dunes. Is that stunning or what?


I told these guys I had the theme music from Lawrence of Arabia running through my head. Yeah .. they pretty much rolled their eyes.








We tried our hand at sand boarding and sledding.



Hit that stuff hard enough and it's just a little rougher than snow. Just a little. I wish I'd gotten a picture of the injuries accompanied by smiles of accomplishment. Crazy, I tell you.
















I could hardly take it all in. Simply beautiful. And a beautiful way to begin our fall break together.





4 comments:

  1. Looks like fun! I love those little cafe/diners where you actually get to know the owners/chefs because it is so empty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I always feel like I walk away having made new friends.

      Delete
  2. I think there are few things as beautiful as fall leaves against a blue sky. (Something I miss in Oregon.) Where on earth did you get sand boards? I've never heard of such a thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cindy, they rented them at a little country store at the park opening but we've since googled how to make our own ;) That should keep the boys busy for awhile!

      Delete