"Home is the place where, when you have to go there, they have to let you in."

-- Robert Frost

Monday, March 2, 2015

eighteen years

There's all sorts of stuff a college bound girl needs and the birthday wish list seems endless just by looking at those needs.

But Newel suggested for her birthday, we simply give her a letter from each of us.

I got halfway through mine. Writing memory after memory of a girl I hoped I'd not missed a moment with.

And then my emotions got the best of me and took over my weekend.

I watched her with a group of girls whom I consider my friends. Each and every one of them headed in a differing direction. 

It occurred to me that an era was closing as another one opens. A time of decision. A time where decisions lead to a future. A time where only Heavenly guidance for every decision will lead down a path made custom for her. A time when an earthly parental hand will seem far away but a celestial one need not be so distant.

And the essent-iality (I know that's not a word) of teaching children to reach.

And how in the world we got from here.


To here.


So darn quickly.





And how ready she is to meet that great big world.


Happy Birthday my girl. I've already written it all in a horribly tear stained letter and there just isn't enough mascara on earth so I say simply ...

You have been my world. And when you go, you take the first piece of my heart with you.


2 comments:

  1. Seems like I saw that cute little scrunchie face just yesterday. I remember it so well! What a beautiful woman she's grown up to be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. weren't our girls just rolling from one side to the other?!? How did this happen?

      Delete