"Home is the place where, when you have to go there, they have to let you in."

-- Robert Frost

Monday, May 18, 2015

the play's the thing

You know how when you come home from the hospital and your "used to be baby" looks so much bigger next to the infant you just brought home?

Lately, I'm having more and more moments like that only of the teenage variety.

Janie worked really, REALLY hard to audition for the middle school play. It was a musical and she worried so about her vocal abilities.

I can't count how many nights I had to drift off to singing lessons happening in the girl's room beneath mine.

But her hard work paid off and she landed a main role as Violet Beauregarde.

She certainly wasn't type cast at all ;)


Right before the play began, Christian sat on a chair beside me. Minutes later, a young middle school girl approached with her friend and asked him something and then I heard the two leave giggling that "the cute high school boy" had spoken to them.

And that's the moment that it happened.

I looked up with different eyes and kids who had just been in middle school themselves were suddenly really big.

Christian declined his picture but this one ...


She was suddenly looking the most grown and changed in such a short span of time.

Then she set me straight, of course.



Janie owned her part in the play. I couldn't have been more blown away.



She did so well with her solo song. I wish I could have been there every night just to hear her.



And Celia and I were simply in tears over the success for that special friend having her hand held by those other girls.



We had to give them all a standing ovation.


I just can't believe how much performing on the stage has helped my children grow and come into their own.


And find a sense of belonging with some other really awesome friends.






Not long after, Celia too, decided to come out from behind stage directing and give the final play of her senior year a chance.

She was a nervous wreck the night before auditions.

With nothing to loose though, she gave it everything and landed a great roll in The Importance Of Being Earnest.


I think Janie attended every one of Celia's performances and practices after she was done with school, just to absorb these high school kids.

And I'm so grateful that they are such a great group of kids that will inspire a middle school gal to want to do what they do.





And again, I had that sense of everything being just a little bit bigger in front of my eyes.




2 comments:

  1. I know exactly what you are talking about. Exactly. :) and :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've got to be hyperventilating too!! Yours are growing by the day and college right around the corner?

      Delete