"Home is the place where, when you have to go there, they have to let you in."

-- Robert Frost

Tuesday, June 16, 2015

graduation

The morning before my own graduation, I stood with my dad on our front porch. I remember him telling me that after graduation, I would probably never see 90% of the people I had shared those short years of my life with.

I didn't want him to be right.

It has always struck me how four short years can seem so monumental yet be so small on this long road of life.

 



Even in an unpleasantly cold rain, this is the best cheering section ever.



We found her there in the back row with the blue stole.



She stood to be recognized as a high honor recipient.


I think a huge weight just lifted off her shoulders.



She even gave me a heel click off the field. That's my girl!



I think she's a little bit of a teacher's pet.


Man, I hope for her that my dad's words are wrong. I will miss seeing every one of these kids as they trickle off to do great things.






I could feel her heart breaking as she was saying final goodbyes to some she'd not see for a really long time.









We couldn't be prouder to call her ours.



And then to celebrate and soak in the fact that they are mine, right here, right now, for just a minute longer.







Congratulations Celia! You did it!!

2 comments:

  1. I graduated in Iowa. My parents arrived from NC in time for graduation, I went to a graduation party that night and they came at 7AM to pick me up from my friend's house to take me to NC. I really didn't ever see anyone but that one friend (who came to my wedding) until my 20th high school reunion. I read somewhere that the hormones running through our bodies when we're that age make the years of high school have unusual prominence in our memories...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I graduated in Iowa. My parents arrived from NC in time for graduation, I went to a graduation party that night and they came at 7AM to pick me up from my friend's house to take me to NC. I really didn't ever see anyone but that one friend (who came to my wedding) until my 20th high school reunion. I read somewhere that the hormones running through our bodies when we're that age make the years of high school have unusual prominence in our memories...

    ReplyDelete