"Home is the place where, when you have to go there, they have to let you in."

-- Robert Frost

Wednesday, September 16, 2015

arrival; mothers without borders

I'm not sure we knew what we were entirely in for.

I've been asked often where did we go, what did we do and who with. There's a lot to those questions. Some of it is stuck deep within me and written about in my personal journal. It's sacred and hard to share.

But, the short answer can be found on the tab of my sidebar.

Years ago as a young mom, I had a friend heading up a non profit organization called Mothers Without Borders in Zambia, Africa.

Through the years, this organization has not only assisted with resources for other charitable organizations for children within Zambia, it has also been built into a home and school for orphaned and vulnerable children. 

Mothers Without Borders works closely with mothers, fathers, children, young men and young women, to strengthen families and increase those binding ties to improve communities. 

I'm a strong believer that families are the very basic unit of society and all efforts to build and improve upon those relationships serve to lift societies in every way. So, I couldn't have been more excited that my family moved mountains to make this eye opening visit to Zambia happen for me.


As cliche as it may sound, not only did I leave a piece of my heart right here, I think I found more depth within it.


And ... who wouldn't be positively giddy to cruise around in the back of a truck in a foreign country?






In addition to all the great things going on with MWB (which I'll get into later), my friend fills summer expeditions to learn and assist with the program.

But better than anything ... she gives an in depth seminar with the ability to be life changing. Probably the best investment I've ever made in myself. The principles taught were realized through real world application experienced in the communities visited.

I'm a hands on learner and a believer that in doing for another, I actually come away lifted more than I could ever lift. And at the forefront of it all .... Love. Does. Work.

This took care of the person inside of the mom. One can only truly "Be the Change" when they are changed.




This was an experience that showed me that I know to the tips of my toes, what I already thought I knew.











And also, a little bit of what I didn't.

The beginning of more than a few weeks excursion, an arrival to an entirely new life to be lived.


1 comment:

  1. You are a gifted writer. I'm looking forward to reading more😄

    ReplyDelete