"Home is the place where, when you have to go there, they have to let you in."

-- Robert Frost

Friday, October 16, 2015

of moms and unicorns

I thought I knew what "orphaned and vulnerable" meant.

I didn't.

Attending a daytime center open a few days a week to street children ... those who do whatever it takes to survive night and day ... made me grateful for so much more than I ever thought possible.


Learning names and making introductions, we engaged in games with these amazing faces.  It became apparent that I was the mother to two of these girls with me and it drew a crowd.

"Wait ..." said one girl. "You are her mother? And her mother?"

I nodded yes, that they were mine.

"I've never met a mother." she stared at me in wonder. I felt like I'd just dropped out of the sky.

"They are such lucky girls."



















"Don't forget us," they echoed as they disappear back into the streets when the sun began to fall.

This mom's heart never can.

1 comment: