"Home is the place where, when you have to go there, they have to let you in."

-- Robert Frost

Thursday, December 3, 2015

what fools these mortals be

Every spare minute around here is filled with singing somewhere in the recesses of our house. The Lion King musical tryouts are looming next week and there's "only like .... fifteen parts and a hundred kids trying out" ... or so I'm told ;)
 
We recently wrapped up the latest play and I've never seen a girl work so hard.  A Midsummer Night's Dream was no small task. 

First and foremost, Janie worked and worked to make her audition monologue fun and interesting. She wanted a great part that she could bring alive but the character of Puck has most often been known to be a male character. Against all the odds ... and the boys ... she nailed it and was so excited about that little accomplishment.

We have a love/hate relationship with her perfectionist determination and sometimes it gives us a laugh too. 

One day, she asked me to pick her up from staying after school. She climbed into my car with paint on her hands. "Mrs. Reynolds asked if I'd stay after and help fix the backdrops for the play. I'm so glad she asked because I thought I was going to have to sneak into the school in the early morning hours and fix the crew's mediocrity on my own without anyone knowing."

I couldn't help but laugh ... and follow with a lecture on humility and honoring everyone's best.


Let's be honest, middle school drama can feel a bit rough, but I tell you, these kids made Shakespeare awesomely fun and funny. We were so drawn in that we didn't even know the time had passed.


Those costumes were pretty ingenious, too.


We brought the best cheering section money can buy.


And a photo bombing high school friend showed up to support our budding thespian.


I've been watching this great group of friends since they were little. All of a sudden, they morphed into big kids on the downhill slope headed into that vast world of high school. I'm not sure how that happened, but it's been a joy to watch.


No comments:

Post a Comment