"Home is the place where, when you have to go there, they have to let you in."

-- Robert Frost

Thursday, January 28, 2016

the world is our campus

Since this new semester began, my kitchen pretty much looks like this:


Faced with need for an individualized plan that we just weren't finding, I presented some choices to Grant for taking charge of his education. He wanted to try a homeschooling program.

I had no idea where to begin so I called my sister because she's a pro.

Knowing I needed some added guidance, we decided to join an online school. Basically, we use their curriculum to turn the world into our campus.

Though rocky at first as we struggled to get our feet under us, we've flown and decided we love being constant learners.

Nothing thrills us more than realizing how everything is connected.

We have science projects going on in every corner.


And history timelines growing on the walls.



There's time to slow down and enjoy the ride.


We're fascinated by all there is to soak in.




And once in awhile we get a little crazy ... and maybe threaten to stick our tongue to an ice core sample from Antarctica with precipitation dated back to the Jurassic period.


But nothing gets us more excited about education than filling our days with what we want to learn and knowing that if we want to, we can learn anything.




There are dear friends missed but rekindling that spark of love for knowledge has been priceless and the freedom to choose how we do that has made us grateful.

To all my talented home school mom friends, I've gained a new appreciation of you! You are amazing.  And if you feel like sharing a tip or two .... I'm ready to soak up all I can learn from you ;)

5 comments:

  1. There is so much about homeschooling that I really miss...good thing my kids are thriving in high school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just finished a meeting with my 6th grader's teacher and principal this afternoon. They were "shocked and surprised" to find that he had been bullied (though They called me down to talk about how a kid Sharpied his coat, arm and pants). They said they thought the boys were just having fun, though mine was a puddle of tears bat this point, I feel as if I am going to have to either add a law degree to my El. Ed. Degree, read up on how to deal with clueless administration, or start homeschooling too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha ha ha expert...you must have called one of your other sisters, right? I'm realizing that all of us are just trying the flat-out hardest we can, changing things when we learn better, trying to do the best for our kids. Good luck to both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So excited for you guys! My mother-in-law is in town and was just relaxing on the couch today while we did some history lessons about WWII. She mentioned at the end of the lesson that she had learned some new stuff from the lesson. I said, "That is one of my favorite parts of homeschooling....I am always learning new stuff...or relearning long forgotten tidbits". It is fun to be part of the kids lives in this way. Plus, I have learned that math doesn't need to scare me as much as it did when I was actually in school! I just did a little victory dance the other day when I successfully multiplied fractions!!!! :D

    ReplyDelete