"Home is the place where, when you have to go there, they have to let you in."

-- Robert Frost

Thursday, May 25, 2017

janie at 15

Janie turned 15.


I know this move has not been especially easy for her. She had a great group of friends before and leaving that life behind was tough.

But I want to give a snapshot of her at 15 to remember.

She has taken a deep breath and moved into this new world we pushed upon her like a champ.


Janie has built new friendships and embraced her interests and hobbies. She's decided that sitting still and moping wastes time. That girl is out on her bike taking in beauty and enjoying the present continually. She's so much fun to be around. We sit and we talk and I cling on her every word about her day ... even though I think she thinks I'm only halfway listening.


I love the way she has to have a hug at night. I love her determination to make the best of everything all of the time. I love her organization and her drive that moves her through everything she tackles. I love her grit as she plugs away at hard things.

I love the way she stoops to help little girls and instruct them. I love that she's got a clear view of right and wrong and love and forgiveness all wrapped up into one.

I love that most of the time I don't have to worry about her. I love that she talks to me about anything I am worried about. I love that she helps me set aside my worries with clarity in who she is.


I often wish that time could stand still and yet with Janie, I love that as time moves forward, we are becoming greater and greater friends.

Maybe because in her, I've seen the making of me. She is my heart.

Happy Birthday, Janie. I love you and all that you are.


1 comment: